What will you do on the hot days of summer? Taking part in the interesting activities like kayaking with pool, lake, ice chest and river is the ideal choice but have you had any good solutions for your valuable camera in these watery situations? In this article, I will introduce you an useful item – the dry camera bag – in order to protect your camera for the great pictures during the trip.
What is the dry camera bag?
In general, this kind of heavy bag is made from the treated fabric or flexible PVC so it is capacity of sealing your camera off the outside watery environment. How it can do that? Obviously, it is able to do that thanks to its features and materials. Some types of models are equipped available many rolling in the top of bags especially being fastened by buckles or ziploc style zippers. In fact, both of them are pretty effective but your option had better stand up the rough conditions.
Actually, there were many different types of dry camera bags so depending on your specific demands, let choose the best one. Below are advantages and disadvantages of them:
It is very easy for you to use it thanks to its easy to shut and open feature especially easy to carry without needing both your hands. Its small shape is enough to be one-handed and handed-off to your helper and crew.
There is only color for choosing especially it is quite bulky and heavy for packing in comparison with others.
You can utilize it as baggage because it gets a lot of locations for strapping and padded dividers.
Most of these models are very heavy and bulky especially when being attached to the optional paddings. Thus, it is quite hassle when you take your baggage in the plane to your expedition position.
Sea to Summit Bags
Both of them are very compact and lightweight so you are able to fold them into your suitcase’s bottom without noticing. In addition, their ability to seal is also well enough opposite to the outside factors. However, in the event of submersion, it is not the best option
It is not attached to paddings
Simms Fishing Products
In case your hands are full by items, this backpack design is extremely appropriate on account of its dry and solid features especially this kind of backpack’s exterior storage and room is very spacious. Moreover, its internal pockets allow you to store more flat gears and documents which you do not want to rattle in the bag’s bottom.
It is not equipped available any paddings even you have to utilize both your hands to take zipper. When being wet, the surface of Simms fishing product is slick but it has many handholds. Notwithstanding the heavy and bulky model, in your trip, it had better be considered for packing.
Tips for using the dry camera bags:
- Because the dry camera bag’s soft walls protects your lenses and cameras not much, the best way is that you ought to prepare the extra several paddings to protect the inside items away banging. Normally, there are two main options or you can combine them each other: the lightweight synthetic towels or the dense foam piece cutting out your different pieces of camera.
- You need inset foam for your equipment to get the most perfect protection. Although the protecting ability of foam is the best, you have to know how to choose the right one that is from 5 to 12 inches in depth (you should compare with your dry bag’s circumference). It is not bad, if you take one or more micro-fiber towels in anticipation of your camera is collided or cleaning some water droplets incidentally. What is more, thanks to many different shapes, you can easily lash it onto your kayak’s deck. However, if you add foam, there will have a small limitation that is to make the less versatile and bulkier dry camera bag (the limited space).
- If do not like foam, I have others. You can wrap lens in the micro-fiber towel (it is very easy for you to find out in camping shops) or keep in the soft foam lens case. Both of these things are quite lightweight and small so they are more convenient.
- Let you think about the hard case due to it is very easy to access it and bag. Even with the dry camera bag’s opening mouth, you are able to still keep camera inside safety.
Tips for testing your camera dry bag:
- Before using, do not forget to answer this question “how do you test your dry camera bag?” The first note is never test with a really camera inside.
- You must check the water tightness of your camera dry bag regularly because some kinds of models do not suit to the electric equipment. Let you seal and keep it underwater without anything inside in order to see whether or not it has air bubbles.
- Perhaps, firstly, you will want test your dry camera bag by means of filling there with books and trying to drown in bathtub but it is not the realistic test in place of a zodiac ride. In the event of your capsized boat, is your camera all right with the 35 degree water? You can test by pouring water on the dry camera bag from bucket then throw water more and more. A garden hose is also the good way to test your dry camera bag.
- Even though you make sure that your camera can be safe in the kayak, it can rain whenever. Therefore, preparing a dry camera bag is extremely essential.